Grow this climber on a trellis as it can reach 8 feet in height. Dolichos lablab is a perennial in frost-free zones, and in colder areas it will be a fast growing annual. Commonly called Redleaved Hyacinth Bean, this vine produces purple flowers and green or purple colored seed pods that are 2 to 3 inches long, and resemble a lima bean pod. The foliage has hints of deep red, and the blooms are nicely scented and attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Typically it will bloom from mid-summer until fall. Start the Dolichos lablab seeds directly outdoors after frost danger has passed. Cover seed with 1/2 inch of soil. Keep the soil moist. With temperatures between 65 – 70F, germination is usually within 20 days. Plants should be spaced about 12 inches apart. Hyacinth Bean likes a position in full sun. For areas with cold spring temperatures, start the flower seeds indoors 6 weeks before the end of frost season.
- Red leaved hyacinth bean is one of the easiest vine seeds to plant. Grow as an annual plant in all zones or a perennial in USDA zones 9 – 11.
- This climbing vine is also known as Dolichos Lablab. You can grown this climbing, vining plant easily from seeds in full sun.
- This popular climber can reach up to 96 inches before you know it and has beautiful purple blooms.
- Sow 2 to 3 Non-GMO hyacinth bean seeds per plant to begin growing this beautiful climber. Enjoy not only the flowers, but the leaves as well.
- Red leaved hyacinth beans are perfect for growing on trellises, mail boxes, arbors, or anything else you want this vine to climb on.