Magic Carpet is the perfect ground cover plant! It only reaches 2 – 4 inches tall, and it has masses of tiny pink blooms that are very attractive to butterflies. Magic Carpet is a creeping thyme, or Thymus serpyllum, that is well-suited for edging the flower border or walkway, growing in-between pavers or in the rock garden. It is a hardy, long-lived perennial that establishes easily from seeds. Prepare an outdoor seedbed. All tiny seeds are best established indoors, but can be successfully started outdoors.
- Creeping thyme is a beautiful, dwarf, ground cover plant which blooms with dense red flowers for many months.
- When looking for the perfect ground cover seed, look no further than red creeping thyme. This variety is known as Magic Carpet and grows in USDA zones 4 – 8.
- Thymus serpyllum seeds are ready for planting. Keep seeds continually moist until germination which may mean watering several times a day for short intervals to keep seed continually moist. This perennial groundcover plant will give you years of color.
- The most common error in germination failure is planting the seeds too deep or not watering enough. Seeds need to stay moist continually until germination!
- Many people consider this to be an elfin thyme since it is so dwarf only growing around 2 inches in height. Sow 500 seeds for every 10 SF of ground cover you want to plant.